Merlin Macon La Roche Vineuse 2014
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-550,single-format-standard,stockholm-core-1.0.9,select-theme-ver-5.1.6,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,menu-animation-underline,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.0.3,vc_responsive

Merlin Macon La Roche Vineuse 2014

Sometimes it can be a bit tricky to find a decent white Burgundy that doesn’t cost a fortune, but I recently discovered a little gem that has amazing flavour and elegance without the hefty price tag.

At $23, the Merlin Macon La Roche Vineuse 2014 is a steal given the quality of this wine coming from the Mâconnais.  Partners in life and in winemaking, Olivier and Corrine Merlin are hand-crafting some exceptional wine, respecting the vines and the earth as being central to their wine making practices and philosophy.


The couple has an immense respect and dedication for their land, giving each separate plot specific attention by vinifying each differently, taking things like exposure and soil composition into consideration.

Each year, they leave a percentage of their land fallow. After the plot gets cleared of vines, the soil is allowed to rest for about 4-5 years.

Sourced from clay- limestone soils , the chardonnay grapes were hand harvested, followed by a gentle pressing.  85% of the crop underwent fermentation in stainless steel vats, with the remainder 15% in oak barrels.  The wine was bottled after an 18 month elevage, and slight filtration. No fining.

Tasting Notes

Merlin Macon La Roche Vineuse 2014

There is no trouble the taste the amount of love and attention they have put into their wine. Pale gold in colour, the wine has beautiful aromas of  grapefruit, candied lemon and croissant with hints of salt. On the palate, there are notes of peach, cantaloupe, and citrus.  Excellent acidity, concentrated and vibrant fruit, there is a salty minerality with just the right of amount of oak. Fine, refreshing finish.

Grape: Chardonnay
Alcohol: 13%
Price: $23.15
Agent:Vins Balthazard